You may feel shaken up after a car accident and unable to process the extent of your injuries and damages fully. Unfortunately, during the vulnerable aftermath of a car accident, many people say things that come back to haunt them.
Do you know what NOT to say after a car accident?
After you get into a car accident, even if it is minor, avoid saying the following things when speaking with other drivers, eyewitnesses, or the police.
- Do not say, “I’m Sorry” – Never say, “I’m sorry,” even if you simply mean that you’re sorry the accident occurred. When you say, “I’m sorry,” insurance companies will take this as an admission of fault, even if that’s not what you meant.
In our daily life, we often make apologies to diffuse a tense situation—even when we have nothing to do with the tension. Resist this urge to smooth things over following an auto accident!
- Do not say, “Let’s handle it on our own,” – Even if your accident is relatively minor, do not attempt to handle it on your own. You may feel tempted to avoid having the police show up and may not want to notify your insurance company. Sometimes, the other driver may push you to skip those steps.
However, you should always have a police report of an accident, especially if the accident was not your fault. If you skip this step, you will likely regret it when you later find out your injuries or other damages are more extensive than you thought or that the other driver has no insurance.
- Never say, “I’m fine.” – Even when you think you don’t have serious injuries, you should still have a medical professional evaluate you. Adrenaline floods your body at the time of an accident, masking real and sometimes severe injuries. Insurance companies may refuse to pay your claims if you’ve declined medical attention and later realize you are injured.
- Never, ever post anything about your accident on social media. – In fact, it would be wise to avoid posting anything on social media until you resolve your claim. Why? You could post the most innocent photo of yourself at your niece’s birthday party the night after your accident. It seems ok, right? However, the insurance company could claim you must not have been hurt in the accident, or you wouldn’t have been able to attend a birthday party. Of course, they may not know that you stood up all evening because of the excruciating pain you were experiencing from your car crash injuries, but that won’t matter much. A photo you believe is harmless, perhaps of the damage to your vehicle, could potentially jeopardize your chances of a fair settlement.
- Avoid saying “yes” – following your auto accident, do not agree to anything until you have spoken with an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney. The at-fault driver’s insurance company may call you after the accident, asking you for a statement. This is rarely good.
The insurance company may also offer you a quick settlement. If you agree, you will not have a second chance to get the compensation you deserve. Insurance companies often use this tactic because they know you may feel panicked after an injury. They know you probably have no idea of the full extent of your injuries, so they want you to agree to a settlement.
It is best to say as little as possible before talking to an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer.
What Should You Say After a Car Accident in Atlanta?
Now that you know what you should not say following a car accident, there are things you should make a point to say following your accident. These include:
- Does anyone need medical attention? Call 911, which will bring the police and an ambulance to the accident scene. Make sure everyone gets medically checked out.
- Let’s exchange contact and insurance information. This will make the process much easier and quicker for your attorney and the insurance company when attempting to determine fault.
- Let me talk to my lawyer first. If the insurance company wants you to settle, tell them you must talk to your lawyer first. An Atlanta car accident attorney can help determine if the insurance company’s offer is fair and just.
A car accident can derail your life, causing pain and trauma. If your accident is caused by negligence, your attorney will negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company for a fair settlement offer. If the negotiations are unsuccessful, your attorney will sue the insurer, and a court date will get set. Having a knowledgeable attorney by your side will ensure you receive the money you deserve following your accident.
Contact Our Experienced Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers
If you or someone you know suffered an injury in a car accident, you must contact an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney today. With the right legal representation, you can collect the money you need to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. The team at Kim Law has extensive experience handling car accident cases in Atlanta and across Georgia. Our Atlanta car accident lawyers will fight tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation. We work on a contingency basis, so you don’t pay us anything unless we win your case! Just call and JUST WIN.