Atlanta car accidents are a severe problem. In one recent year, there were more than 24,000 crashes in the city, resulting in nearly 1,400 injuries and over 100 deaths. That’s an average of 66 crashes per day.
If you suffered injuries and damages in a car accident in Atlanta, it is essential to know what you can do to seek compensation. If your car gets damaged and you can’t drive it, you will need to find a repair shop to work with the insurance company so you can get your vehicle fixed. However, this can take time. You will need a rental car to get to and from doctor’s appointments, work, and school during this time.
Who pays for this rental car, and how can you get one?
Who Pays for Your Rental Car After an Accident?
In Georgia, the at-fault driver is responsible for paying for the rental car after an accident.
If you are not at fault, the other driver’s insurance policy must pay for your rental car. However, getting rental car coverage from the at-fault driver isn’t always easy. Some insurance companies won’t pay for a rental vehicle until a court establishes liability. This can leave you scrambling to pay for a rental car after a crash on your own.
If you have insurance coverage, your insurance policy might cover the rental car after an accident. This is sometimes the easiest and quickest way to rent a car after a crash. Your insurance company will then press the at-fault driver’s insurance company for reimbursement.
If you do not have rental coverage on your policy, you might need to pay out-of-pocket for your rental car. This is less than ideal after a car accident in Atlanta. You likely have medical bills and expenses to cover, and you might not have received a paycheck since your accident. Yet, until the at-fault driver gets established, this might be the only way to get a rental car after a crash.
What to Do to Get a Rental Car After a Car Crash
If your car got damaged in an accident, you might not know how to get a rental car. Follow these tips for getting a rental car and protecting your rights after a crash.
- Call the police and file a report. This is important for insurance purposes and can also help if any legal issues arise from the accident. A police report will also help your attorney establish liability. Liability is necessary for collecting compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance policy.
- Collect information. You must gather information from the other driver, including their name, contact information, and insurance information.
- Take pictures of the damage to both vehicles. This is helpful when filing an insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance company and start the claims process. Your insurance company will have a list of preferred rental car companies that you can use.
- Keep track of expenses. Once you have a rental car, keep track of your expenses so your insurance company can reimburse you.
- Only rent a comparable vehicle. Most policies will only cover a comparable vehicle as a rental car. If you own a Honda Accord, you cannot rent a BMW sports car and expect reimbursement.
- Stop renting the car when your car gets fixed. As tempting as it is to keep the newer rental car, insurance companies will not pay for the rental car once your vehicle gets repaired.
Following these steps after a car accident can help the process go smoothly and ensure you have the transportation you need while your car gets repaired.
What Happens When the Insurance Company Refuses to Pay for a Rental Car?
Sometimes, insurance companies refuse to pay for certain expenses, like rental cars, even when liability is established. You can report them to the Georgia Department of Insurance when this happens. The Consumer Services division of the Georgia Department of Insurance ensures all insurance companies obey state insurance laws. This is a good place to start if you believe your insurance company is not acting in good faith.
You can also call an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney. Your attorney will review your case, your insurance policy, the at-fault driver’s insurance policy, and the police reports to help you get the compensation you deserve after a car crash. Your Atlanta car accident lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company and push them towards a higher settlement, including rental car fees.
Contact Our Experienced Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers
If you got into a car accident in Atlanta, we will help you pursue justice. Our law firm offers FREE initial consultations and reviews, so you can get the answers you need – when you need them. Call 404-587-8946 or fill out our confidential contact form. We work on a contingency basis, so you don’t pay us anything unless we win your case! Just call and JUST WIN.