If you suffered an injury in a motor vehicle accident in Atlanta, you may already realize the uphill battle you face. Recovering from accident injuries can require months and even years of physical and emotional work. There may be setbacks or complications as well, adding additional stress to an already difficult time.
During your recovery, you may be surprised to realize that the uphill battle you face also extends to collecting compensation. Even while you are still recovering, you may find yourself in a fight with the insurance companies. Insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. They don’t really care how much money you need to recover or whether you may suffer complications that prevent you from returning to work. They only care about their bottom line and paying you as little as possible.
For this reason, you may find that you need an experienced Atlanta motor vehicle accident lawyer on your side from the start. You have enough on your plate just dealing with your injuries and your recovery. Let your attorney handle insurance companies for you. Not only will this relieve some of the pressure you feel, but it will also result in significantly more compensation for you and your family.
An experienced motor vehicle attorney knows precisely how to build a case to collect maximum compensation and damages. They can work with medical experts and forensic specialists to find all liable parties. This increases the amount of damages you can seek and may put significantly more money in your pocket.
Your attorney will also know how to collect all damages you are entitled to. On your own, you may not realize how much money you truly need for future medical expenses. Or you may fail to collect enough compensation for loss of future earnings. Your experienced Atlanta lawyer will work to determine how much money you truly need before you agree to any settlement with the insurance company.
What Damages Can You Collect After a Motor Vehicle Accident?
After an accident in Atlanta, or anywhere in the state of Georgia, the law allows victims to seek damages. Every claim is different, however. There are various variables that will affect the amount of compensation and damages you can seek. Evidence, liability, and the type of accident and injuries will all affect the overall damages you can collect after your accident.
In general, however, accident victims in Atlanta can seek payments to cover any or all of the following damages:
- Past and future medical expenses. This includes medication costs, rehabilitation expenses, hospitalizations, and any future treatment you may need. It is important for your attorney to work with your medical team to understand the full extent of your injuries and how they may affect your future.
- Long-term care costs. If your injuries result in a disability, you may require long-term care. This can include hiring private nursing staff or caregivers to help you with daily activities.
- Lost income. While you recover from your injuries, you are often unable to work. This can put a tremendous strain on your family due to the loss of income. You can collect payments for this income to help you pay bills, rent, and other expenses.
- Loss of future earnings. Sometimes, your injuries impact your ability to work in the same way you did before your accident. This can make it difficult to collect a full paycheck. Georgia law allows you to seek compensation for the loss of any future earnings you may endure.
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress. The emotional stress and suffering after an accident can be detrimental to returning to your previous quality of life. Accident victims may suffer from PTSD, as well as serious chronic pain.
- Punitive damages. In some cases, the negligence is so serious that the courts may award punitive damages to punish the defendant. These types of damages are rare, but they can occur after more serious motor vehicle accidents.
Contact Our Atlanta Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyers
After a motor vehicle accident, you need a law firm in your corner that understands your needs and concerns. You need a lawyer that can go toe-to-toe with insurance companies and win maximum compensation for you. Our law firm has the experience and resources needed to help injured accident victims after a crash. To learn more about your legal options after a motor vehicle accident, we offer a free initial consultation and review. Call 404-587-8946 or fill out our confidential contact form. Just call and JUST WIN.